Thursday 21 February 2013

I had to leave West Ham to improve: Zavon Hines

Ahead of the biggest game of his life, ex-Hammer Zavon Hines has been talking about his feelings for West Ham, and why he left.

The Academy graduate will walk out with Bradford City onto the Wembley turf this weekend to try and gain League Cup victory over Swansea.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror about leaving Upton Park, Hines said: “[Allardyce] was trying to build a squad to get promotion and I could have been playing in the Premier League now...But I just felt at that stage of my career, I had to back myself, go somewhere and play regular games to really push on and become better player.”

He went on to reveal that West Ham still holds a special place in his life: “West Ham will always be in my heart and the club was so good for me but the thought now of playing at Wembley, the highlight of my career on the big stage means it was worthwhile and the right thing to do.”

We wish him the best of luck this weekend. He could be another one that got away, but maybe his words tie in well with Sam Allardyce’s belief that academy players face tough careers being in competition with seasoned footballers.

By Lucy Woolford

@lucy_whufc

No comments:

Post a Comment