Wednesday 20 February 2013

Cottee recounts Moore class

Tony Cottee has continued tributes to the late Bobby Moore and described his first meeting with the great man.

Cottee was going through a spell of low confidence at Everton, but Bobby did his best to perk him up. He describes how he was sitting in the player’s lounge after a loss to Spurs, when Moore called out to him.

Cottee details: "I was nervous. I was thinking: 'Oh my god, it's Bobby Moore. What's he called me over for?' I had never spoken to him before.

"He shook my hand and just said to me: 'Tony, I just wanted to check that you are okay?'”

After Moore gave him some self-belief and a “massive lift”, Cottee went on to pick up his scoring form. Cottee says he will always be grateful for what Bobby Moore did for him on that day.

He has gone on to make sure that his children know that Bobby Moore was the greatest man in claret and blue.

By Lucy Woolford

No comments:

Post a Comment